Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Orange Brioche and The review of the Book :パンで幸せ三昧―賢く作ると、なるほどおいしい!

As I promise you before about the book name:..................... that I will write about it. So, I have to full fill my mission by testing another recipe ^ ^.
But before I will talk about it, I have to tell you something. You can see that I change my watermark, and this is the story that I want to tell you.
I must say "Thank you" to Ngoc Anh Hoang, a lovely reader in Vietnam, who told me about the web site that uses my photo without my permission, so I redesign my watermark to make it harder to remove.

I don't tell you the name of the site because Ngoc Anh Hoang already sent them the letter and hope they will be ashame, and don't do anything like this again. I don't mind if anyone will use my recipes or photos, but I just ask for them to give me the credit, that's all!
Because when I posting I mean "I really want to share" and I hope everyone will understand. So, let's talk about the book ^ ^.
パンで幸せ三昧―賢く作ると、なるほどおいしい! (LEE CREATIVE KITCHEN) is a collection of bread recipe, and I just can't stay away from this kind of book haha.
It start with the basic bread and how to knead (with a clear picture of instruction, Japanese style) it, from table rolls, milk bread, raisin bread, butter roll, semi-hard roll, croissant bagel and foccacia.

Follow by the bread variation (28 items!), like olive bread, whole wheat, bread with fruits and nut (there are many recipe that I want to try, ex. bacon and onion bread, I already tried sweet corn bread ) . If you know how to make the basic bread you will be able to make different kinds of bread too.

Following with the section of quick bread and muffin. In this section there are a lot of pizza recipes too, yummy, yummy ^_^.

Then the rest 5 sections are about the bread meals, like French toasted (21 varieties, lol, I love the one name: strawberry and coconut French toasted).
Open sandwich section is quite lovely, it can be use for the canape too.

The sandwich section is, well, sandwich haha, rolled sandwiches, toasted sandwiches, bagel, pita, baguette croissants and hamburger. Different kinds of bread and different kind of filling, so if you have sandwich for your lunch, it's really helpful.

Then the pizza toasted section, it's easy and delicious, just one loaf of bread you will be able to create 10 pizza toasted (and after reading it, you might get more idea, ^ ^).

The last section is bread become meal, bread quiche, soup, (well, and the idea of bread tatin, lovely).

So, I do love this book, it's great for the bread and variations. And for everyone who love eating carbohydrate, you might love it too.

So, let's talk about today menu, ^ ^.
It's the first menu that catches my attention, well, I just really want to try. I love brioche, and I love orange jam, so, I think that it will be great if they are together.
The percentage of the butter in this recipe is not very high, so it's not hard too knead, and the butter is not melt a lot when shaping the brioche.
But if you don't want to shape like mine, you can roll the dough into a ball and bake it that way, it's delicious in any shape, ^_^.



Orange Jam Brioche
Makes 14 pieces (5 cm)


250g
Bread flour
2tbsp
Caster sugar
5g
Instant yeast
½ tsp
Salt
90ml
Orange juice (do not use fresh)
1
Egg
75g
Unsalted butter
40g
Orange marmalade

Egg wash (1egg + 1tbsp water)



Put the flour, the sugar and yeast in a bowl, whisk to combine, add and salt whisk again. Pour the liquids mixture into the bowl.

Use large spoon (or pastry scraper) to mix everything together, and knead briefly to bring all the ingredients together.

Add the butter and knead to combine.
Take the dough out of the bowl and knead by using the heel of your hands to compress and push the dough away from you, then fold it back over itself (see the picture here). Give the dough a little turn and repeat. Put the weight of your body into the motion and get into a rhythm. Keep folding over and compressing the dough.

Knead for 5 - 10 minutes or until the dough is soft, pliable, this dough won't be satiny, but it will stop being sticky.

Pour the jam over the dough and knead until all the jam is fully distributed.

Put the dough into a light buttered bowl. Let the dough rise in a warm place until double in size about 1 hour.


Take the dough out of the bowl, deflate by touch it lightly.
Cut the dough into 14 pieces, roll into a ball and let them rest for 10 minutes.

Shape the dough:

Roll the dough into a bowling pin shape (one side small one side big).
Punch a hole in bigger side.
Flip the small side under the bigger one and pass the small dough through the hole.

Place the dough into the pan, lined with paper cases.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
When the dough almost double in size, brush with egg wash.
Bake for 15 minutes, or until the brioche is golden brown.

Orange Jam Brioche: lovely morning bread

Brioche on Foodista

8 comments:

  1. Very lovely bread! Great job, Pook.

    Rgds,
    KY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review of the book. Sounds like a great book! Love the recipe you shared also and the step by step photos - very helpful! If you don't mind I'd love to direct Foodista readers to your blog. Just add your choice of widget to this post and you're all set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'd just tried this recipe & i was dissapointed as i couldn't achieve as what u baked. After i knead the dough, i leave it to rest for 1 hour on plastic board brushed with butter. Upon checking, i found that my dough did not rise up double in size. I thought it might due to my dough is open to air, so i move the dough to a pot covered with lid & leave it for another 1 hour. It only rise a bit but not double in size. So i just continued with the rest of the steps. After baking, my brioche still not rise as high as yours, its still within the same level as the paper cup and it doesn't expand to the side of the cups when baking. Would u pls tell me where did i go wrong ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, samsam
    First I really want you to check the yeast.
    Your problem seen to come from the inactive yeast, so the dough and bread didn't raise as it should.
    Just pour some of the yeast in the cup and add water (warm about 35 C) and see the react of it. If there are no bubble at all, you should discard your yeast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deliciosos!!relmente espectaculares.
    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey this looks amazing but may u tell me why not use fresh orange juice ? does it affect the out come ? coz i have fresh juice and was hoping to make those tonight
    thanx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    The fresh orange juice contains enzyme that prohibit the glutenin in the flour to form the gluten, you can use your orange juice just heat it until 80-85c to inactivate the enzyme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi,
    thanx for replying i tried them and they were great. looking forward to more of ur awesome recipes
    naglaa

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...